The Audience Development Manager for Vanity Fair Italy oversees and implements the audience growth and content distribution strategy that extends the reach and amplification of content, particularly across social, SEO, email, partnerships and other multi-platform channels.
This person ensures the Aud Dev and Edit teams deliver the audience that the business needs, so that Vanity Fair retains its leadership position in a competitive landscape.
This person grows audiences – to our websites, to social, to video, audio and newsletters – and ensures they are the ‘right’ audiences so that consumer and commercial revenue teams can deliver against their targets and ambitions.
This person will be embedded with the Vanity Fair Italy content team and partner seamlessly with editors and writers. They will sit alongside editors and be pivotal to enabling the success of the newly evolved teams.
The Aud Dev Manager manages the Social Media Manager for Vanity Fair Italy.
Reporting to the Regional Audience Development, Analytics and Social Manager, the Aud Dev Manager is part of a community of global Vanity Fair Aud Devs (an Aud Dev Manager is embedded in each Vanity Fair editorial team).
The ideal candidate has experience partnering with Edit, Product, Data and Commercial. They will be a clear communicator and show sound judgement. This person will display all the behaviors outlined in the Audience Development Competency Model.
Goals and structure:
The Global Vanity Fair Audience Development, Social & Analytics team’s role is to bring the right audiences to Vanity Fair, and ensure engagement and return visits. This provides ‘top-of-the-funnel’ for the Global Marketing and Consumer Revenue team. A goal is to increase reader revenue through subscriptions, events, commerce and other activities. The Aud Dev Manager for Vanity Fair Italy is a key role in the process of building and engaging audiences.
- Grow and develop Vanity Fair’s audiences to enable us to achieve our commercial and consumer revenue ambitions.
- Implement the global Vanity Fair Aud Dev & Social strategy, adapting it for the market and culture. The strategy is multiplatform, including website, social, video, audio, newsletter, app and other platforms.
- Manage and mentor the Social Media Manager for Vanity Fair
- Work to KPIs, set and manage targets and ensure goals are met.
- Guide editors on story outputs and create feedback loops
- Provide actionable insights to content teams daily, monthly and quarterly so Editors understand what’s resonating – and what’s not resonating
- Guide story positioning – for Facebook, guiding / writing SEO titles, for other platforms
- Plan and execute distribution strategies for big global and local stories (cover reveals, cover interviews, tentpole events)
- Work with the global SEO team to guide SEO evergreen updates, SEO cleanups and redirects
- Work with the SEO team to maintain day-to-day SEO best practices in conjunction with the editorial teams
- Guide syndications – based on performance in other markets
- Manage the distribution strategy for newsletters. Work with the editorial team to guide daily newsletter content curation.
- Grow audiences for commerce / shopping. Bring forward creative ways for driving commerce from SEO, social and other channels
- Maintain consistent pitching schedule to internal and external partners and monitor performance to inform and tailor future partner pitches
- Test, develop, implement and share video viewing experiences, including intentional viewing on O&O channels and off-platform.
- Work with global counterparts in other Vanity Fair teams to share learnings and best practice.
- Collaborate with teams working on consumer revenue initiatives (such as memberships, events, merch, commerce)
- Identify new content, platform and marketing opportunities based on emerging digital trends, competitive business intelligence and consumer insight.
- 3+ years of experience in the media and entertainment industry, digital advertising agency or online marketing, advertising, or publishing organization, with a thorough understanding of online business models and strategies.
- 1+ years of experience managing teams – or readiness to manage
- Inspirational and effective line management skills
- Audience development professional, with deep understanding of editorial SEO, social, newsletters, video and other platforms.
- Experience of working closely with Product, Editorial, Data and Commercial.
- Detailed knowledge a major web analytics tools such as Omniture or Google Analytics
- Deep understanding of social media channels, features, functionality and use cases
- Deep knowledge of SEO impact and best practices
- Experience with email/newsletter and segmentation strategies
- Experience in working on audience development strategies for video and audio
- Ability to clearly articulate and present to editorial colleagues and all levels of management
- Ability to navigate a complex and matrixed business
- Entrepreneurial, digitally savvy, with exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Desired: Experience of working cross-culturally. A second European language is a plus.
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 0-5